Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Ubnox-O-Phone!!!

I made this primitive synthesizer/obnoxious noise maker for fun during my spring break. I first got the idea when I saw all the crazy diy noisemakers and synths at musicfromouterspace.com. I used their Weird Sound Generator schematic along with the Ruby Guitar Amp schematic from runoffgroove.com to build what I have named the Ubnox-O-Phone. This was my first electronics project. I ordered most of my parts from mouser.com for about $35. I started by using the runoffgroove schematic to put together this simple amp on a bread board.After I got the guitar amp making sounds, I finally had enough confidence to pull out the soldering iron and piece everything together.





For the case I decided to go with a rack mount kind of look. I also wanted to show off all my work so I used 1/8" clear acrylic and I left the sides open. I designed it in Illustrator and I used our school's laser cutter to cut out the front and back and all the holes for my knobs & stuff. I also used the laser cutter to engrave the name and control labels. I used a scifi looking font that turned out to be hard to read but still looked really cool.

It took me about 2 days to solder all the components together and then a few more hours to design and laser cut my faceplate. I was really happy with how it turned out. Here is a video that shows the noises it can make as well as some of the places I have taken it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is one DIRTY synth! I love it!