Monday, March 24, 2008

Design Thought Model

Concept:
The concept for the design thought model that I have to make for my design thinking class starts with a full scale model of my head, chest, and one arm made from clear acrylic. Inside the head where my brain would normally go will be a hopper full of marbles that represents ideas. A rotating disk powered by a steam engine will release the marbles at set intervals. The marbles will then roll down a twisting track where they will be processed, cleaned and filtered. The best marbles will eventually roll out of my hand and onto a piece of paper to form a design.

Style:
My style influences for this project are steampunk, nautilus, victorian, and clockwork. The materials will include acrylic, brass, velvet and dark stained wood.

Building:
I started by making plaster molds of my head, chest and arm.
I have my brother cover my skin in plaster infused bandages.
We make a big mess and eventually get kicked outside.After about 12 minuets I can take off the now solid bandages
I use more plater bandages to fit the front and the back of the head together. Then I poor plaster of paris in the hollow shell of my head to give it strength. I now have a solid 10lb plaster head which I can use to form the acrylic.
I put the acrylic sheet(plexiglass) in the oven at 300 degrees until I can easily bend it.I then wear sox over my hands and press it against my plaster head. Here are some of the test pieces I made. I painted two of them so I could experiment will how I was going to get an aged brass look for the inside supports.


No comments: